[Portland] Bonobo/KParts interoperability

Maxim Udushlivy maxim.udushlivy at gmail.com
Sun May 7 04:51:05 PDT 2006

Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> Somewhere in KDE CVS lives a component embedding thingy called Xparts.
> It's inspired by Kparts but uses Xembed I believe. It might be worth
> taking a look at that and see if it's usable as-is or what would need to
> be changed for it to be usable as a cross toolkit component model.
> See http://dot.kde.org/977406679/ for the original announcement.
>
> Waldo Bastian
> Linux Client Architect - Client Linux Foundation Technology
> Channel Platform Solutions Group
> Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/go/linux
> OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman

Yes, a technology for toolkit-independent embedding of GUI controls, but
not a component model.

I just found D-BUS and it looks to me like a unified communication
mechanism between different object systems. D-BUS (if I got it right)
may be considered as a bridge between objects written in binary
incompatible languages/toolkits. So that you can invoke a method of a Qt
object from a GTK+/C# application for example.

Q6: Is D-BUS a "component system"?
http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-faq.html#components

Implementing XEmbed-based GUI control embedding via D-BUS (DBus.Embed ?)
probably could be a first step to KParts/Bonobo interoperability. I am
new to these topics and can only guess what may be done next:
1. Create special KPart and Bonobo controls that will act as containers
in DBus.Embed environment
2. Extend KParts and Bonobo systems to expose their controls to DBus.Embed

/Maxim