[Promotion] Rolling up things

Wade Olson wade at corefunction.com
Wed Dec 13 17:26:27 PST 2006

On 12/13/06, Thilo Pfennig <tpfennig at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/12/13, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org>:
> > As a comment on your proposal of a Freedesktop Foundation, I'm not sure that
> > it makes sense at this point.
>
> Maybe you are right. I think it will make sense at some point but
> unsure when. I do not think that it is should be an immediate goal.
> But I think it is time to think about it. As you said: KDE is active
> for itself, so the free desktop thing is getting less love for  a
> while. While this is understandable I think this will happen every now
> and then and will now allow to do a more continuous work. I think
> priorities will shift in the not so far future. Especially if we all
> know that there are not endless financial ressources for both projects
> and so cooperation gets more and more essential.

I agree.  I have nothing against the concept, only that doing so may
be premature.  A foundation made too soon without enough participation
or inertia - I wouldn't want it to stagnate just due to timing.

Similar to projects that grow successfully to become "standards" on
freedesktop: I'd guess that as this list grows in volume and
subscribers and needs more coherency - a foundation would make more
sense.

On the topic of the KDE Marketing Meeting. I was also in attendance
with Sebas and can echo his statements: Positive toward gnome all the
way.  Let the good vibes continue!

Wade