[pulseaudio-discuss] Flash Video Synchronization

Paul Jones raptorman18 at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:15:06 PDT 2007

On 5/31/07, CJ van den Berg <cj at vdbonline.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 08:47:59PM -0400, Paul Jones wrote:
> > Hi, I have my flash video working through Iceweasel and using
> Pulseaudio.
> > The problem is that the audio and video are not synchronized. I have
> been
> > able to achieve perfect synchronization in the past but not since I
> > reinstalled Debian.
> >
> > I used to have these same synchronization problems in the past when I
> would
> > kill the pulseaudio server and restart it from the terminal. Flash video
> on
> > Youtube and other sites would go out of sync but videos played on my own
> > system would stay in sync. The only way I would achieve synchronization
> is
> > by restarting the computer.
> >
> > Now pulseaudio does not start automatically anymore unless I edit the
> > variable in /etc/default/pulseaudio and when Pulseaudio starts it does
> not
> > show up in the system monitor like it used to. Pulseaudio starts
> > automatically but it is not listed in the system monitor and iceweasel
> > flash
> > videos are out of sync.
>
> If flash is going out of sync it probably means that it's communicating
> with
> pulseaudio via the esound protocol (assuming it's communicating with
> pulseaudio at all), which is know to suck at getting synchronization
> right.
> This maybe a permissions problem.  Try starting an audio application or
> two
> from the command line and check for permission denied errors from pulse.
> Totem would be a good candidate, or perhaps paplay or something.
>
> > /etc/default/pulseaudio mentions that is not the recommended way of
> > starting
> > pulseaudio, so what is the recommended way now. editing the conf files
> for
> > autospawn and daemonize doesn't work.
> >
> > Anyone have any recommendations.
>
> The recommended way of starting pulseaudio is via gnome-session. In other
> words, go to System->Preferences->Sounds->Sounds and check the "Enable
> software sound mixing (ESD)" option. Then Gnome will start pulseaudio
> automatically when you login.  This requires of course that you install
> pulseaudio-esound-compat.
>
> > On a less important note, my gnome system sounds are not working. I'd
> like
> > some suggestions for those too.
>
> In the same dialog where you turn on ESD you can also turn on Gnome system
> sounds.
>
> --
> CJ van den Berg
>
> mailto:cj at vdbonline.com
>   xmpp:cj at vdbonline.com

HI again, I should have mentioned that I  already did all the settings in
the  gnome sound preferences but the system sounds still do not work.  I
shut off  the pulseaudio init script and  pulseaudio does not start
automatically, I have to start it from the terminal. Both Software Sound
Mixing and System Sounds are enabled in the preferences but still nothing.

I think you may be right about flash going to ESD. When I run iceweasel from
the terminal it says
 ~/.esd-auth file exists
then plays the flash video out of sync.

However, now since I have to start pulseaudio from the terminal, it does not
do that anymore.

When I first start up the computer, flash videos are in sync, but that is
because pulseaudio is not yet started and flash is probably outputting
straight to ALSA I guess.

Bottom line is flash video is out of sync, software sound mixing is enabled,
and system sounds don't play. I have to start pulseaudio each startup from
the terminal.

Any ideas?

I read the revolutionlinux page on the libflashsupport module and the files
that it says it checks for are not on my computer. I never noticed that
before. but /usr/lib/libpulse-simple.so.0.0 does exist. You mentioned a
permissions problem, but where? I am in all the necessary groups and so is
the user "pulse".

IN addition, If I replace libesd with libesd-alsa flash sound stops working.
Just as a side note.

PJ