[pulseaudio-discuss] RTP module patch

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Dec 20 03:53:45 PST 2008

Hi Tom,

'Twas brillig, and Tom Bamford at 20/12/08 10:33 did gyre and gimble:
> As a rookie programmer I've never submitted a patch back to a project,
> however I recently made a small change to the PulseAudio RTP sender
> module to meet my requirements and I'd like to submit the change for
> consideration if it helps.

Thanks for your contributions. I'm not an expert in RTP stuff so I can't
really review, but here is some general advice about contributions.

The normal procedure is to make a git clone of the official code
repository (the details are on the website) and then make your changes
there.

The process would be something like:
git clone git://git.0pointer.de/pulseaudio
cd pulseaudio
git checkout -b mybranch
<do work & change files>

You can then review your own changes via "git diff" to make sure you're
not making any changes you didn't mean to!

Once you are happy with your changes changes you "commit" them into your
checkout by running:
git commit -am "Description of my changes"

(the -a bit just says to commit all modified files, if you only want to
commit a subset, run "git add <filename>" and miss out the -a flag on
your commit)

Once you are happy you would publish your changes upstream. There are a
few ways to do this with the built in git tools, but a simple way to get
you started is to create a series of patches via:
git format-patch master..mybranch

This will create a series of files all ending in .patch. These files
represent the differences between the master branch and your local branch.

You should then either post these files here on the mailing list or
create a ticket in Trac and attach them there.

The Trac route is less likely to be overlooked, but Lennart may prefer
the patches here for review.

I hope this helps.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]