[pulseaudio-discuss] Was Pulseaudio crashes is now; Is it really working?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Oct 27 14:05:49 PDT 2008

Scott Castaline wrote:
> Just installed the latest from source (git) and after going through
> removing what was installed by Fedora and then installing all of the
> required dependencies and the downloaded version from git.

OK, good so far.

> It appeared
> to be working, however my system sound on login doesn't play.

There could be many reasons for this.

> When I
> open the sound test gui from preferences I noticed that PulseAudio is
> not any of the choices, and none of the tests work.

What is this application? Do you mean gstreamer-properties? If so you
don't have the gstreamer pulseaudio package installed.

> When I go to the tab
> for system sounds they all work fine when I "play" them. Rhythmbox seems
> to work although I'll believe it after a few days of nonstop use. Due to
> the tests in the gui failing, I'm wondering if the audio is actually
> going through PulseAudio or is it just going through the ALSA driver(s).

Just look in pavucontrol. It's quite obvious whether a given stream is a
direct pulse client or a alsa one as the latter have "[alsa]" in their name!

> When I do a ps -ef | grep pulseaudio I get: scott     3135     1  0
> 07:36 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start, so I'm assuming
> that it is starting.
>
> I have also run the sound config gui from the cli command
> "gnome-sound-properties", and get the following when I test Sound
> playback which is normally set to Autodetect I get the following response:
> sound-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'audiotestsrc wave=sine
> freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink': Resource not
> found. [gstjackaudiosink.c(427): gst_jack_ring_buffer_open_device ():
> /autoaudiosink0-actual-sink-jackaudio:
> Cannot connect to the Jack server (status 17)]

This is due to your preferences as set in gstreamer-preferences. You've
told it that you want to use jacksink as your preferred device.

> So can someone tell me is pulsaudio is running? If not, what am I
> missing? Can I fix it, and how?

Well pulse is clearly running as you can see it in ps. If you can
connect to it with pavucontrol and see stream listed then it's actually
*working* as well as just running! :p

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]