[pulseaudio-discuss] a little suggestion: start/stop button in pa manager GUI

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jan 2 10:14:36 PST 2009

On Sat, 27.12.08 22:06, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> >> 'Twas brillig, and H.S. at 27/12/08 00:17 did gyre and gimble:
> >> What do you mean by this? Personally I find it quite easy with
> >> pavucontrol, although it could use some UI love for sure.
> >
> > Yes, I use that gui too, that is what I had in mind. I didn't know there
> > was any other method to accomplish this, though.
>
> It would be interesting to see what kind of system you would find easier
> just now? There are two working groups in Fedora and Ubuntu that are
> working on making the UI better so please get involved. Not sure how
> much inter-group-communication there is tho'.

Mhmm. You say someone at Canonical is working on volume control and stuff?
I haven't heard that rumor before. Any links?

We at Red Hat have just contributed a new volume control/g-s-p capplet to
GNOME upstream, going the usual paths with upstreaming early and
stuff. It is already available in Fedora Rawhide. If the Ubuntu guys
are doing something similar it would be a good idea to work with
upstream (be it PA or GNOME) for that as well. But heck, I haven't
heard about any such project of theirs.

Hmm, Ubuntu had its problems with working with upstream in the past. I
thought they fixed that. If it is true what you say that they have
someone working on that than they haven't really improved. I mean, I'd
be happy if Ubuntu would really contribute code to the ecosystem
instead of their usual hack jobs. But the way to do that is speaking
with upstream folks.

</rant>