[pulseaudio-discuss] sink_name's not used in UI tools?

Chris Joelly chris-m-lists at joelly.net
Tue Jul 7 10:46:55 PDT 2009

Hello all,

i'm trying to get the sink_name's displayed in the UI tools
(padevchooser, pavucontrol) so that not only i am able to 're-route'
audio streams, but others using my desktop are able to do this without
trial and error methods too. Not everybody is familar with my hardware
setup and knows which sound card is used for what purpose... ;-)

Is there a way to display the sink_name's i gave using the load-modules
directives in the default.pa file? and if not, is there a way to change
the way these tools display the sink_name's? Because when i build a
combined sink of lets say two or three simple and cheap sound cards for
routing sound to two or three different rooms, then the sink_name of
this sink is:

<sink_name style="string_with_all_info_alsa_provides_from_the_slaves">
Simultaneous output to ALSA PCM on hw:2 (ESS Solo-1) via DMA, ALSA PCM
on front:1 (ES1371 DAC2/ADC) via DMA, ALSA PCM on front:0 (ALC662
Analog) via DMA
</sink_name>

almost unreadable in pavucontrol and padevchooser :-)

And if you have enabled the "Add virtual output device for sim..."
setting within paprefs, then its very unhandy to distinguish between
2 different combined sinks when using the same "master" sink...

Thanks

Chris