[pulseaudio-discuss] Writing mono bindings - what is pa_operation actually used for?

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 27 22:54:27 PDT 2009

I'm (slowly) writing some mono/CLI bindings for pulseaudio, with the
initial goal of writing or enabling a GNOME Do plugin for adjusting the
volume and manipulating streams.  Since that touches a wide swathe of
the API anyway, I plan to go on and bind everything.

I'm trying to write idiomatic C# bindings, which means that I need to
understand how everything is meant to fit together.  The documentation
is pretty good here - I think I get most of the API.

However, I don't understand what pa_operation is good for.  As far as I
can see, you can't wait on a pa_operation, so they're not particularly
useful for completion notification - and every call I've looked at has
some other method of signalling completion anyway.  The docs also say
that you can't depend on a cancel call working, so that also seems a
little pointless, and you can't determine success or failure of a call
from a pa_operation.

So... what is pa_operation good for?  What will consumers of my bindings
miss if I simply pa_operation_unref immediately after every call that
returns a pa_operation?

Thanks!