[pulseaudio-discuss] volume-independence on secondary output devices

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 19:09:08 PST 2009

Hello there!  I finally upgraded to F12 and Pulse 0.9.19.

It appears that when I plug in a secondary output device (like my
docking station's USB-type sound card) and reroute Pulse to it, I can
no longer use the main volume control in GNOME to change the volume of
sound output.

In a way, this is actually kinda nice -- I route the docking station
into external speakers with their own volume control, so it means that
controlling the volume when plugged into the dock is vastly
simplified.

(In other words, main volume doesn't affect secondary output sources).
 My only regret is that I can no longer change the sound volume (other
than muting) on the computer; I have to get up and go change the
speaker volume.

I can live with this functionality either way; I was just wondering if
it was an intentional change.