[pulseaudio-discuss] Mic not working with PA

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Sep 23 03:43:58 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and remrot at gmail.com at 23/09/09 09:56 did gyre and gimble:
>  I have a problem getting the mic to work on a Toshiba 100 with an
> ALC861 chipset (no builtin mic). I tried Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 Alpha with
> the same results: the mic works during the live session but stops
> working after installation. Because of that, it's very likely not a bug
> within the ALSA driver but either a wrong configuration or a bug in a
> higher level application like PA. I've already filed a bug report on
> launchpad, but got no response so far:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/434511
>
> However, after doing a lot of search, it seems that there are more
> people with similar problems and they "solved" them mostly by
> uninstalling PA. I don't really want to do that (especially not in
> Ubuntu Karmic, since it's deeply integrated) so I decided to ask for
> help on this mailing list. Unfortunately, it's not my laptop and I only
> have access to it for the next few days. So, if anyone has some
> suggestions on how to get the mic working (or track down the bug) that
> would be really helpful...

The starting point would be to provide the output from:

pacmd list

Then to double check in pavucontol (the newest version - e.g. 0.9.9)
which supports ports.

1. On the "Configuration" tab, you should have a profile selection drop
down for your card. This should allow you to choose how your hardware
works. e.g. you may have picked a 5.1 output profile which disables
sound input (due to hardware limitations) or simply selected an output
only profile. If so you would generally not get a list of devices under
the "Input Devices" (with the default filter).

If that doesn't solve the issue, look on the "Input Devices" tab and you
should see the recording device. if there are multiple ports available
then you should get a drop down there that you can use to switch ports.

This may solve it for you.

If all this fails, try a fresh user account or remove your ~/.pulse
folder. If the live session works, then it could just be some thing in
your config that's causing it, so trashing ~/.pulse is the easiest fix
there (although double check /etc/pulse for differences in the files
there from the live version too.

HTHs

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]