[pulseaudio-discuss] Mic not working with PA

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Sep 24 05:14:57 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and remrot at gmail.com at 24/09/09 11:16 did gyre and gimble:
> I've already tried to determine the exact parameters for the alsa
> modules, but I don't know to do that (lsmod and dmesg don't help). The
> only thing I can do is compare the alsa-base.conf files where the
> options are stored, but these files are identical, except for the
> 'probe_mask'. But without that I have neither sound output nor a capture
> device. I also compared the alsa-info files but again the only
> difference I see is 'probe_mask' related. To be honest, the more I
> investigate the less sense this all makes to me. Yesterday I tried again
> to record from within the live session and it works perfectly. Even the
> mic volume is very loud without a boost. This is driving me crazy...
>
> Here are the differences within the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf file (the
> other files are identical)
>
> daemon.conf:
>
> ; rlimit-rtttime = 1000000
> vs
> ; rlimit-rttime = 1000000
>
> ; flat-volumes = yes
> vs
> flat-volumes = no
>
> I assume the first is a typo?? Anyway, it's commented out. And you
> already noticed the flatvolumes thing, so nothing new there....

Yeah I fixed the typo the other day :p

Flat volumes shoudn't affect things at all but the other flag relating
to HW volume control is telling. It basically tells me that the
underlying alsa stuff is different in some what, so I'm swaying slightly
on the side of it being an alsa issue in some capacity... possibly
compounded by other issues tho'.

I guess you could test the recording at the alsa level with some arecord
commands may help confirm it but even then I'm still not sure.

> I've posted to the alsa users mailing list, maybe one of the people
> there has got an idea. Thanks again for your help, if you've got any
> other suggestions I'll be happy to try them out!

Cool. I'll keep an eye open there too.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]