[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio states blocked

Alvaro Alonso Jiménez alvaroalo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 05:48:12 PDT 2009

I really dont know what the problem could be... but this is what I have

malcom at marugan:~/Desktop/TID/SRN$ pacmd list-modules
Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
>>> list-modules
20 module(s) loaded.
    index: 0
    name: <module-hal-detect>
    argument: <>
    used: -1
    auto unload: no
    index: 1
    name: <module-esound-protocol-unix>
    argument: <>
    used: -1
    auto unload: no

You can see that I have to retype list-modules in order to obtain the
list... It shouldn't be like that, should it???

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Alvaro Alonso Jiménez at 21/09/09 15:34 did gyre and
> gimble:
>
>> Hey everybody!!!
>>
>> I am trying to execute pacmd list-modules in one statement; however, when
>> I do it, it says just Welcome to PulseAudio, and it provides me the consol,
>> so I have to rewrite list-modules in order to obtain the modules. I really
>> need to do it in once. However, in other computer that I have, I can do it
>> in once!!!! And they have apparently no difference one from another...
>>

> "pacmd list-modules" works fine here so don't know what's up with your
> setup... maybe an old version?
>
> You can also use "pactl list" which will include the modules plus a whole
> lot of other stuff in it's output. pactl uses the pulse protocol like any
> other client (i.e. connection to PULSE_SERVER env var etc. rather than just
> the local PA daemon) and it doesn't rely on module-protocol-cli which pacmd
> requires. So if it's a general purpose thing you're doing, I'd use pactl
> instead (even if you have to filter out the crud).
>
> Col
>
> --
>
> Colin Guthrie
> gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie