[pulseaudio-discuss] pavucontrol not seeing network sound devices

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Sep 26 06:44:11 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Christoph Groth at 25/09/10 19:06 did gyre and gimble:
> Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> writes:
>
>> 'Twas brillig, and Christoph Groth at 25/09/10 13:59 did gyre and gimble:
>
>>> However, I understand that padevchooser is obsolete and I should be able
>>> to choose the output device with pavucontrol.  But this does not work, I
>>> can only see the local device there (or, upon changing the default device
>>> with padevchooser, the remote one).
>>>
>>> So, how is this supposed to work?  I am grateful for any hints.
>>
>> I guess the debug output from pulseaudio when module-zeroconf-discover
>> is added will likely tell you what is up.
>
> Thanks for your help, Colin.  Looking at the debug output of pulseaudio
> led me to http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/694.  Setting use-ipv6=no
> in /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf solved the problem.

Crap, I actually meant to mention ipv6 issues in my original reply...
sorry about that but glad you found the reference anyway.

I've not really played all that much with ipv6 personally. Keep meaning
to switch my internal network at home to ipv6 but haven't gotten around
to it yet.

> Is this an issue with pulseaudio itself, Debian's configuration or
> rather my switch not handling ipv6 correctly?

AFAIK, it should all work, but perhaps there are some broken links in
the chain somewhere :s I'm not 100% sure at point in the stack it fails
for you (nor do I know much about ipv6 generally) so I'm probably not
all that good from an advice point on this one :(

> Being able to switch the audio output device on the fly is really cool!
> Thanks to the authors for the great work with pulseaudio.

Yeah it is smart :)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]