[pulseaudio-discuss] PA Roadmap Planning and LAC Conference

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Feb 18 02:53:09 PST 2011

On 2011-02-17 00:54, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There have been a few discussions recently about getting a solid roadmap
> organised for the next medium term of PA development. While the
> stable-queue stuff has been bubbling along nicely enough, there are
> several new features in the 1.x master branch but no real timescales
> decided. There are quite a few willing people out there these days which
> is really encouraging, but we need to get a solid focus on when to
> expect releases and what we hope to achieve in each one. This email is
> the start of that process.

This is a great initiative, thanks!

> In addition, there is the LAC conference[1] in Dublin (or just outside)
> in May and there is already plans for quite a few PA developers and
> interested parties attending. I will book my flights very soon, but if
> there are several of us going, then I wonder if it would make sense to
> try and have a "sprint day" before the conference (or after) to see if
> we can all sit down in once place and concentrate on stuff for a little
> while. Being in one pace would probably help a lot with certain
> discussions and really help progress.
>
> So this email is really about two things:
>   1. Planning a time for an IRC meeting on the near term Road Map.
>   2. Discussions if a "sprint day" at LAC is possible (so we can book
> flights.
>

> With regards to IRC meeting, I propose initially that we do this next
> week sometime (the sooner the better). For the sake of argument, I'll
> pick a time: 11am UTC Thursday 24th. Other timing suggestions welcome.
> I'd expect it to take at least 1h but probably less than 2h and it would
> be good if people involved could be fairly focused during the meeting
> window. I'll prepare an agenda and ensure that notes/logs are taken
> (with a meetbot) and made available afterwords. We will likely use a new
> IRC channel for this but anyone who wants to sit in, lurk or actively
> particpate would be most welcome.
>   Q: Is this time suitable for everyone (Lennart in particular)?

Works for me.

> With regards to LAC, David has already indicated he'll have to leave on
> the Sunday (after the conf which is on Fri/Sat), so if no-one has any
> objections, I'll propose that we have a Sprint day on Thursday 5th May
> (ideally so people can arrive on Wed evening or early Thursday so we get
> the full day). How would that fit for everyone? I've no idea about
> space/location, but I'm sure something can be arranged, even if it's
> just in the corner of a pub!

Agreed. Could also be worth checking with the LAC organisers if they
could spare a room for us on Thursday.

> Perhaps this can just be incorporated into
> the Fri/Sat programme anyway and a separate day is not needed? Having
> not been before, I'm not sure how "practical" the conf is and whether
> the extra day would be needed or beneficial, but my general thoughts
> would be "more time = more code", so an extra day could still be nice!

I would prefer a separate day. This is because I don't want to miss the
rest of the conference.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic