[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] Should we set Front=0dB for the headphone path?

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Jul 1 06:03:46 PDT 2011

I wonder if we're better off with the attached patch. I've seen more
than one system where the volume control named "Front" is a part of
audio path for headphones. The attached patch would be somewhat of a
compromise: While we don't merge it into the path, as that would be
regressing machines where "Front" isn't a part of the audio path, it
would still enable sound on these machines. The question is if "Front"
is turning on some output it shouldn't on some machines, but I think it
wouldn't: this should (for all common systems I can think of) be fixed
through the driver's auto-mute anyway.

The other option would be to quirk every single machine that has this
problem to a separate udev rule -> profile-set -> path .conf file.
What do you think?

--
David Henningsson
http://launchpad.net/~diwic