[pulseaudio-discuss] Headset-detection

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jul 6 05:21:39 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Himanshu Chug at 06/07/11 12:37 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to route audio on a headset.
>
> -I am able to get audio working on loudspeaker (which is the default
> sink for my device)
> - I have inserted headset in my phone and tried "pacmd list-sinks"
> command, but I am not able to get the headset detected as new sink device?
> may be I am wrong, but does PA have the logic to understand that headset
> is inserted (new sink is available), if yes how can I get this reflected
> in "pacmd list-sinks" and if so I can use this sink index/name for routing.

In a typical PA setup, module-udev-detect is used to load all alsa devices.

Is that how your setup is working?

If so, udev is the one that notices the new h/w and puts out a signal
that PA's module-udev-detect spots. When it spots this, PA will load a
new module-alsa-card for the device and it should subsequently show up
in pacmd list-sinks.

If you need more help to understand things, you'll need to post your
default.pa file (assuming you're running a standard per-user setup) and
ideally the debug output from "pulseaudio -vvvvv" from the start through
to when you plug a device in.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]