[pulseaudio-discuss] Need help to enable echo cancel in pulseaudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 21 12:58:05 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and ABDUL MOIZ at 21/07/11 08:06 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
>       I have downloaded pulse audio source code from the link shown below
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/?id=0ecf51119a349e51daeea0437eba9a14d69ce533
>
> i have untar the file and have compiled and installed the pulseaudio by
> following the steps below:

I wouldn't generally recommend downloading tarballs from these links
unless you know specifically what revision you want. After this commit
has come in there have been various further fixes (almost 100 new commits!).

So you should likely check out git master from git.

I've got a guide here:
http://colin.guthr.ie/2010/09/compiling-and-running-pulseaudio-from-git/

> $:./bootstrap.sh
> $:./configure
> $:make
> $;sudo make install

This is quite dangerous. You are installing PA into /usr/local. This
will almost certainly interfere with your distribution's PA version and
generally cause you headaches unless you really know what you are
doing!! In the link above I very specifically do not install PA but keep
it in a separate tree and run it instead of my system one, but in a way
that does not interfere.

But all these warnings aside, you appear to have got it working....

> Pulseaudio has been installed and i have started the daemon using
>
> $:pulseaudio --start
>
> I have loaded the echo-cancel module as shown below
>
> $:pactl load-module module-echo-cancel
>
> I have run the CLI and found the echo cancel module loaded as shown below
>
> $:pacmd
> << list-modules
>
>  index: 17
>     name: <module-echo-cancel>
>     argument: <>
>     used: 0
>     load once: no
>     properties:
>         module.author = "Wim Taymans"
>         module.description = "Echo Cancelation"
>         module.version = "UNKNOWN"
> <<
>
> I have connected mono mic to the pc
> Now I have run the gstreamer pipeline to test the working of echo cancel
> module
>
> $:gst-launch-0.10 pulsesrc ! pulsesink
>
> I am able to loopback my voice but still , echo is prevalant.
> Can you please tell me how to check whether echo canceller has been
> enabled or not and if it is not enabled then how to enable and run it.

I'm not sure what's going on here or if this is a valid testing procedure.

For example, are you definitely recording from the echo cancel source,
or are you simply recording from the standard mic source.

After launching this pipeline, I'd expect you'll have to move the
recording stream to the right source for it to have any affect.

That said, I've not done much playing with the echo cancel stuff, so
perhaps Arun can advise better than me.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]