[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio 0.9.22

Joel A Fernandes agnel.joel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 14:45:56 PDT 2011

Hi,

I wanted to discuss my experience with pulseaudio 0.9.22 is on the
latest angstrom and BeagleBoard images.

I noticed in images built using both OE and another assembled by
Narcissus that the permissions of root directory were not set
properly, so I was getting a "/root does not belong" error message.
chown'ing it fixed the problem.

Then, when I start in session mode (both as root and regular user)

Running in a session as: pulseaudio --start -DD

W: main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless
--system is specified).
E: module-gconf.c: Unable to read or parse data from client.
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-gconf" (argument: ""):
initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

Running in System mode.
to open the sound devices and startup without problems:

W: main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-exit not set!
W: main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-module-loading not set!
N: main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling SHM mode!
N: main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling exit idle time!
W: main.c: OK, so you are running PA in system mode. Please note that
you most likely shouldn't be doing that.
W: main.c: If you do it nonetheless then it's your own fault if things
don't work as expected.
W: main.c: Please read
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/WhatIsWrongWithSystemMode for an
explanation why system mode is usually a bad idea.

But, "pactl list" gives a "Connection failed: Access Denied" message.

Thanks,
Joel