[pulseaudio-discuss] Android and latency questions

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Fri May 4 08:51:41 PDT 2012

Hiya,

On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 10:59 -0400, Dave Horoschak wrote:
> Please excuse the basic questions, but I am looking for some
> assistance.
>

> I'd like to use PulseAudio to stream high-quality, low-latency
> (50-100ms) audio from a PC to an Android device over a managed
> wireless network.  I have the server running on the PC, but am having
> trouble on the Android side.  I'm not an Android developer so I don't
> have the ability or knowledge to re-build the kernel, make custom
> configurations or anything like that.  Is there any other way that I
> can get PulseAudio on a device for testing and experimentation with
> the rest of my system?

What device is your Android system running on? If you care only about
playback (and don't mind other stuff being completely broken), and are
using a Galaxy Nexus (both *big* ifs, of course), I could provide an
image for you to try.

> Related to this project, has anyone measured or estimated what the
> lowest end-to-end latency of this system could be, assuming all parts
> are optimized at both end of the signal chain?

Assuming decent ALSA drivers on your target device, the main variable
here is the wireless network. In the ideal world, our RTP modules would
receive more love and work better, making things more robust. I know
there are periodic glitches over the TCP tunnel, and haven't had time to
try to pin them down, but your mileage may vary.

Regards,
Arun

[p.s.: in the future, please start a new thread for a new topic]