[pulseaudio-discuss] Sound not working

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 08:01:22 PST 2013

>If you insist into fixing your broken setup and/or user account settings, please hire some linux expert >(may also read: "ask in your circle of friends") and let him check your system on-site. In depth >debugging of a misconfigured system is impossible over mailing lists (and out of scope, too). Thank >you for your understanding.

Actually, the system works fine.  pulseaudio is the problem.  I'm not trying to do anything complicated: mixing multiple sounds, or editing or anything.  I'm only trying to play a simple .wav file.  Before pulseaudio, this would work with a simple command like 'cat file.wav > dev.audio' or something like that.

I have another Linux machine running the same version of CentOS in which the audio group doesn't include my user account, but sound works okay.  So I'm thinking /etc/group isn't the problem.  But I'll add my username to that group and post the results.

I've used Linux for almost 20 years and sounds worked fine for the vast majority of them.  It's only since pulseaudio was enforced on us, that I've had sound problems.

Thanks again for helping.  I'll keep trying and post results.

My suggestion to the pulseaudio developers would be to create a trouble-shooting guide for people trying to do simple things: like playing a .wav file.