[pulseaudio-discuss] Sound not working

Daniel windseeker at gmx.de
Mon Dec 2 09:57:42 PST 2013

2013/12/2 James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com>

> Actually, the system works fine.  pulseaudio is the problem.  I'm not
> trying to do anything complicated: mixing multiple sounds, or editing or
> anything.  I'm only trying to play a simple .wav file.  Before pulseaudio,
> this would work with a simple command like 'cat file.wav > dev.audio' or
> something like that.

To be honest to you: Pulseaudio is working just fine here. It plays the wav
file without issues. It uses the best output that your system is offering
to pulseaudio: null-sink. Pulseaudio said openly that your system is not
permitting access to the real audio hardware. If your system does not allow
pulseaudio to access any audio device, then this is a
failure/misconfiguration of your system, caused either by the distributor
or by yourself.

> My suggestion to the pulseaudio developers would be to create a
> trouble-shooting guide for people trying to do simple things: like playing
> a .wav file.

Yes, it should be as simple as you think. The job to achieve that is in the
hands of your distributor. It's his task to build a distribution that you
can install and then simply use everything. It's his job to set device
permissions right and so on and so forth. So if you did not tweak something
or installed unusual software that did change the permission system, then
your trouble seems to be caused by the distributor. So if your problem
persists since you installed freshly, then your distributor made some
mistake here.

Just imagine it this way: If xterm is not starting up because your X Server
denies access, then there is nothing that the xterm developers can do. And
if the street in front of your house is blocked, then there is nothing your
car manufacturer can do.

I hope I could describe the problem you have and I hope this leads you to
the right places to look. I wish you good luck in fixing this!