[pulseaudio-discuss] How To Share Audio?

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Mar 17 12:08:56 PDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-03-16 at 20:50 -0500, ninja mocha wrote:
> I have two users: admin user who is firewalled from the Internet and  a
> user called 'web' who is not firewalled.
>

> In order for the admin user to use the Internet, they have to use this
> command:
>

> gksudo -u web firefox
>

> The command works fine, expect no audio plays.  How do I get the audio to
> be shared between users?

You can enable TCP access in the pulseaudio server of the "admin user".
Assuming that you don't already have ~/.config/pulse/default.pa, create
that file with these contents:

        .include /etc/pulse/default.pa

        load-module module-native-protocol-tcp listen=127.0.0.1 port=4712

Then restart pulseaudio. (Note that prior to PulseAudio 3.0, the
configuration directory was ~/.pulse instead of ~/.config/pulse.)

Next, put this in /home/web/.config/pulse/client.conf:

        default-server = tcp:127.0.0.1:4712

Now the web user should connect to your admin user's pulseaudio server.

The default port is 4712, so you can leave it out. I put it there just
to show how to configure the port if you want something else than the
default.