[pulseaudio-discuss] How To Share Audio?

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Mar 17 12:33:12 PDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-17 at 21:08 +0200, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-03-16 at 20:50 -0500, ninja mocha wrote:
> > I have two users: admin user who is firewalled from the Internet and  a
> > user called 'web' who is not firewalled.
> >

> > In order for the admin user to use the Internet, they have to use this
> > command:
> >

> > gksudo -u web firefox
> >

> > The command works fine, expect no audio plays.  How do I get the audio to
> > be shared between users?
>
> You can enable TCP access in the pulseaudio server of the "admin user".
> Assuming that you don't already have ~/.config/pulse/default.pa, create
> that file with these contents:
>
>         .include /etc/pulse/default.pa
>
>         load-module module-native-protocol-tcp listen=127.0.0.1 port=4712
>
> Then restart pulseaudio. (Note that prior to PulseAudio 3.0, the
> configuration directory was ~/.pulse instead of ~/.config/pulse.)
>
> Next, put this in /home/web/.config/pulse/client.conf:
>
>         default-server = tcp:127.0.0.1:4712
>
> Now the web user should connect to your admin user's pulseaudio server.

Oops, I forgot to mention that you should also copy
~/.config/pulse/cookie from the admin user to the web user. For
PulseAudio versions less than 3.0, the file is ~/.pulse-cookie.

The cookie is used for authentication. If you want, you can disable
authentication altogether by giving argument auth-anonymous=yes to
module-native-protocol-tcp.