[pulseaudio-discuss] Sound streaming over network using pulseaudio. Newcomer questions.

vitaly.repin at gmail.com vitaly.repin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 03:45:00 PDT 2013

Hello,

I want to setup a sound streaming using pulseaudio from my linux
computer to JVC boombox over LAN. The schema is shown here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vitalyrepin/8573579969/

I managed to set it up with Nokia N9 (Harmattan MeeGo, pulseaudio
0.9.19) without any issues. But when I take Nokia N900 (less powerful
device, Maemo, pulseaudio 0.9.15) I hear audio drops every 5 seconds.

There are can be 2 reasons for this to happen from my PoV:

- Too many data is coming over network to process by N900
- Old protocol is used.  protocol-version-limit=15 is set using the
patches from  Tanu Kaskinen:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2011-June/010256.html

I can not upgrade the pulseaudio version used in N900 - it contains
custom patches made by Nokia and I am a little bit afraid of breaking
them.

Can the protocol used be the root cause of the issue?

How can I limit the stream - say, set its parameters to the lower
quality than CD audio?  Decrease the sampling rate for the networked
connections, for example?

Is there any way to stream mp3, not PCM? If not, is it planned and is
any work already done in this direction (don't want to invent the
wheel and prefer to base my patches on somebody's else work if
possible)?

Thanks in advance!
--
WBR & WBW, Vitaly