[pulseaudio-discuss] Mono Upmixing Only

Carl Gridley crgridley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 02:45:38 PDT 2013

Hi Tanu,

Thanks for replying :-)

When upmixing is disabled, mono playback is silent but does not generate
errors that I can see from pulseaudio -vvv or any notifications.

Here's a bit of output:

I: [pulseaudio] source-output.c: Trying to change sample rate
I: [pulseaudio] source-output.c: Resampling enabled to 44100 Hz
D: [pulseaudio] module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink
alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-surround-extra1 becomes busy.
D: [pulseaudio] resampler.c: Channel matrix:
D: [pulseaudio] resampler.c:        I00   I01   I02   I03   I04   I05
D: [pulseaudio] resampler.c:     +------------------------------------
D: [pulseaudio] resampler.c: O00 | 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000
I: [pulseaudio] remap.c: Using generic matrix remapping
I: [pulseaudio] resampler.c: Using resampler 'peaks'
I: [pulseaudio] resampler.c: Using float32le as working format.
D: [pulseaudio] memblockq.c: memblockq requested: maxlength=33554432,
tlength=0, base=12, prebuf=0, minreq=1 maxrewind=0
D: [pulseaudio] memblockq.c: memblockq sanitized: maxlength=33554436,
tlength=33554436, base=12, prebuf=0, minreq=12 maxrewind=0
I: [pulseaudio] source-output.c: Created output 14 "Peak detect" on
alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-surround-extra1.monitor with sample spec
float32le 1ch 25Hz and channel map mono

This particular one is from a mono youtube video played in Chrome, the
behaviour is the same in other applications too.

For the plans comment, this is just a quote referring to fine-grained
control over upmixing from this thread:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-bugs/2009-December/003553.html

That was several years ago though.

I think your option would be good, to make sure I understand it it would be:

- no upmixing of stereo sources (or any multichannel source) with the upmix
module disabled
- mono would still be upmixed (probably to all channels) regardless of the
upmix module being active or not

Or something functionally equivalent to the above.

If I can help with testing I'm happy to try any patch on my system.

Cheers
Carl