[pulseaudio-discuss] Scarlett interface as default device

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 17:15:09 PDT 2013

On 20.03.2013 23:49, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Wed, March 20, 2013 3:01 pm, Rodolfo Thomazelli wrote:
>
>> In fact I can't produce sounds with "mataa", but I think that this is
>> another problem.  If any correlated problem appears, I'll come back for
>> get
>> help.
>>
>> I would like to be able to fix the problem at the root, but as I am new to
>> the
>> Linux world, I would not know where to begin.
>
> I was looking for more info on that box and it appears there is a bug in
> ALSA... which as I looked farther it seems you have found help in the
> right place. I hope the patch works for you. (the kernel patch)

The kernel patches seem to have worked, as at least aplay works fine. It
was a long-standing but in ALSA that would unsupported mixer units make
the entire sound card probe fail, and that is fixed now.

For PA though, it seems the card needs a special profile, just for the
fact that is has more than a stereo output and it cannot magically
mapped into some 5.1 device setup. I think it would be worth thinking
about falling back to a multiple stereo mapping in such cases, if no
special profile can be found. Even just making the first stereo pair
accessible seems like a better solution than dropping the device
alltogether, right?

Thanks,
Daniel