[pulseaudio-discuss] How can I forward X display but not pulseaudio?

Boyd Kelly bkelly at coastsystems.net
Sun Mar 24 19:34:37 PDT 2013

Hi Len,

Thanks for this suggestion here.  I also love your forwarded xfce4-panel!!

I did try the jack dbus script below but still not able to start pulse
audio.  However it did occur to me that the 'user-configured' server below
was actually at the source.

[bkelly at zbox ~]$ jackscript.sh
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at
{a31addf0a924b9d66ec2b6a04a91805d}unix:/tmp/pulse-5w2mDtsd3uF2/native,
refusing to start/autospawn.
[bkelly at zbox ~]$

So I simply stopped pulseaudio at the source/local machine before ssh -X
remotehost, and presto! --  I could start pulseaudio, play sound at the
destination while still forwarding the DISPLAY.  Finallly!!!!

It would be nice to know if there is some option/switch/config/method to
control this , without having to shut down pulseaudio on the local machine,
but I'm happy that at least I can accomplish what i need to.

Cheers!

Boyd

------
# dbus-launch started, DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS exported:
export `dbus-launch | grep ADDRESS`

# dbus-launch started, DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID exported
export `dbus-launch | grep PID`
#jackd -d alsa > ~/Desktop/jack.log 2>&1
/usr/bin/pulseaudio --start
-----

But the result is still:

That user configured server is still the local or source from where I am
using ssh -X.  If I remove the X forwarding then I can still start
pulseaudio. But then I can't forward the display.....  arrrg!

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Fri, March 22, 2013 3:07 pm, Boyd Kelly wrote:
>
> > I would like to ssh into a box as a regular user, start pulseaudio, and
> > have my display forwarded back to the source, while playing audio at the
> > destination.   The only way I have been able to do this is by running
> > fluxbox at the destination.  I would rather just forward the application
> > display.
> >
> > This post has shed some light on this, and now I understand that there is
> > an X display that pulse audio 'likes' when I run fluxbox and connect with
> > vnc.
>
> Not quite. When a session starts, dbus is started too. dbus allows
> applications to talk to each other. Normally this is tied to the display,
> but it doesn't have to be. It does have to export some of it's values to
> the environment of any app that wants to use it. There are a few ways to
> do this. The easiest is to look at the script called jackstart:
>

> -------------------------8<------------------
> #! /bin/bash
> # file: /home/user/data/script/jackstart
> #
> # This is ridiculous:
> export DISPLAY=:0
>
> # dbus-launch started, DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS exported:
> export `dbus-launch | grep ADDRESS`
>
> # dbus-launch started, DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID exported
> export `dbus-launch | grep PID`
> jackd -d alsa > ~/Desktop/jack.log 2>&1
> -----------------------8<-------------------
>
> You don't want to use exactly this, but the two dbus lines would help.
> Then run pulseaudio --start
>
> I use xfce here, but you may be able to translate.
>
> I do:
> ssh -Y headless
> xfce4-panel
>
> open a terminal from the panel menu and do:
> pulseaudio start
>
> I use a user that I never use local and put only the main menu in it,
> shrink the panel and put it in the corner of the screen. Then I use that
> menu to start anything I need. That way all apps have the same
> environment. the panel app above happens to start dbus on it's own, so I
> don't have to.
>
> I haven't done the exact thing you want to do, so try and see. I have had
> pulseaudio and jackd talking to each other via dbus though.
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.OvenWerks.net

Boyd Kelly <bkelly at coastsystems.net>