[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio randomly resets

Helmar Schütz haselnuss87 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 08:46:20 PDT 2013

On 25.03.2013 09:30, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 15:00 +0100, Helmar Schütz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> my Pulseaudio randomly resets when I play music in wine emulated
>> foobar2000 or in Linux VLC player. I see the icon disappear for a bit
>> and audio completely stops until I restart said applications. I tried
>> running pulseaudio verbosely from command line but other than a "kill"
>> when it happened, there didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary.
> What do you mean by "a kill"? Is there a line saying "Killed"? If that's
> the case, then the problem is probably that PulseAudio is consuming more
> CPU time in its realtime threads than it's allowed to, hence it gets
> killed.
Yeah, that line appeared in the terminal.
> Do you possibly use module-combine-sink? It had a bug that could cause
> the CPU limit to be exceeded. It's fixed in 3.0, which is not available
> in Wheezy.

I downloaded pulseaudio 3 from debian experimental. The problem still
persists and it appears in every kind of audio application. It seems to
me that OOM is wine-related, so I guess it is not related to my problem.

I'm not sure how to figure out whether I'm using module-combine-sink|. I
can't find it in /etc/pulse/default.pa . I use a Lenovo T61 Thinkpad
that only has an analogue |audio output so my guess is using
module-combine-sink wouldn't even make much sense?

This is what I got last time it crashed with pulseaudio 3 installed:

I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Freeing input 8 "ALSA Playback"
I: [pulseaudio] module-stream-restore.c: Restoring device for stream
sink-input-by-application-name:ALSA plug-in [wine-preloader].
I: [pulseaudio] module-stream-restore.c: Restoring volume for sink input
sink-input-by-application-name:ALSA plug-in [wine-preloader].
I: [pulseaudio] module-stream-restore.c: Restoring mute state for sink
input sink-input-by-application-name:ALSA plug-in [wine-preloader].
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Created input 9 "ALSA Playback" on
alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo with sample spec s16le 2ch
44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     media.name = "ALSA Playback"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.name = "ALSA plug-in
[wine-preloader]"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     native-protocol.peer = "UNIX socket
client"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     native-protocol.version = "27"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.id = "8037"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.user = "helmar"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.host = "wheezynut"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.binary =
"wine-preloader"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.language = "en_US.utf8"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     window.x11.display = ":0.0"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.machine_id =
"3ea01861093a01db55367d2d50857e5c"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     module-stream-restore.id =
"sink-input-by-application-name:ALSA plug-in [wine-preloader]"
I: [pulseaudio] protocol-native.c: Requested tlength=40.00 ms,
minreq=10.00 ms
I: [pulseaudio] protocol-native.c: Final latency 50.00 ms = 20.00 ms +
2*10.00 ms + 10.00 ms

Followed by a bunch of these:

I: [alsa-sink] alsa-sink.c: Scheduling delay of 1.09ms, you might want
to investigate this to improve latency...

And finally:

Killed

It takes some time to actually crash which makes reproducing it
time-consuming. Is there a way that I can instantly test whether it's
the realtime thread problem you were talking about?