[pulseaudio-discuss] An raop2 support

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Thu Sep 5 14:20:00 PDT 2013

On 28 August, 2013 - Hajime Fujita wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently I found that the current PulseAudio did not support the latest
> AirPlay audio streaming, so I started to brush up the raop2
> implementation based on Christophe Fergeau and Martin Blanchard's
> implementation.
>
> Here is my ongoing work.
> https://github.com/hfujita/pulseaudio-raop2 (repo)
> http://hfujita.github.io/pulseaudio-raop2/ (brief document)
>
> My primary goal is to enjoy musics in my AV receiver from Linux, but a
> vague ambitious is to get the code merged into upstream so that anyone
> can use the feature by just using distro packages.
>
> Current status:
> * Plays music with Pioneer VSX-43.
> * Sound test (launched from the GNOME sound setting dialog) does not
> work (no sound heard).
> * When stop playing music and then start again, PulseAudio may go into
> an abnormal state (no sound/hang up/crash).
> * Works reasonably fine with VLC/totem but when playing music from
> Rhythmbox, quite rough sound is heard.
> * Packet retransmission is not supported yet.
>
> I'm very happy to hear any sort of suggestions.
> In the near future I may ask several technical questions about
> PulseAudio internals.

Hi!

I thought i take it for a spinn and try it against my XBMC machine and my
Denon-1912, and got some mixed results.

First i thought i test it by running another pulseaudio server on my
machine and use tunnel-sink to connect my "regular" server to the server
with the new raop-module in it, but that didn't really work. Something
with the raop-module doesn't really behave when a tunnel sink is feeding
it.

Later i tested to run a real client against it, and that works quite
well!
Occasional stutter, maybe once a minute, when running against XBMC, but
stutter every 10 seconds or so when running against the Denon receiver.

Looks like XBMC uses libshairport and it might be a interesting project
to write a module using that to receive raop to pulseaudio?

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin