[pulseaudio-discuss] Stuttering sound while recording more then one audio stream

Laurens Nikolaisen laurens.nikolaisen at gmx.de
Fri Jul 24 19:43:18 PDT 2015

Hello there!

My plan is to do record game sound of an OpenGL game at the same time
while I'm recording my microphones voice. If I try to do so using pulse
audio the sound will stutter after a few seconds. In [0] they say it
seems to be related to pulse audio - but still nobody could solve the
problem.

What I did:

"Create null outputs and connect them with loopback streams so the game
audio is sent to the speakers, but also combined with the microphone and
sent to SimpleScreenRecorder. This is what we want to achieve:

To do this, run the following commands:

pactl load-module module-null-sink sink_name=duplex_out
pactl load-module module-null-sink sink_name=game_out
pactl load-module module-loopback source=game_out.monitor
pactl load-module module-loopback source=game_out.monitor sink=duplex_out
pactl load-module module-loopback sink=duplex_out

Now you should open PulseAudio Volume Control and send the audio from
the game to the _second null output (game_out)_, and set the audio
source in SimpleScreenRecorder to the _first null output (duplex_out)_.
This should be done from the input page - do not use PulseAudio Volume
Control to change the audio source for SimpleScreenRecorder because the
change will be lost whenever you pause and resume the recording."
*Source*: [0]

Do you guys have any idea if this is a bug and if there's a known
workaround?

Many thanks in advance!
Laurens

[0] http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/recording-game-audio/