[pulseaudio-discuss] HDMI audio passthrough no longer working

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 23:59:14 PST 2015

02.03.2015 12:47, Xamindar wrote:

>>> Any ideas what went wrong here? Is there a known bug in pulseaudio 6.0
>>> that causes this breakage?
>>
>> I have read the above, but the main question is unsnswered. Did it
>> work before with non-stereo profiles?
>>
>> My guess so far is that it never worked, and you broke it by enabling
>> the 7.1 profile that was not available before (i.e. I guess that you
>> were using a stereo profile before).
>>
> Sorry I wasn't clear. Yes it was all working with 7.1 before. I have
> made no changes other than a normal system update (pacman -Syu) so I do
> not understand why it has stopped working. In fact, I have had 7.1
> working on this system for more than a couple of years now. I originally
> got it working way back when pulseaudio woudn't even show anything
> beyond 5.1 by editing some extra-hdmi.conf file or somesuch in the
> pulseaudio system directory to add the extra speakers. I can't seem to
> be able to find that file on my system anymore however. But I remimber
> it having a LOT of stuff in it.

Thanks for the information, the fact that you have edited
extra-hdmi.conf is important. Unfortunately, there is nothing in the log
that stands out as a possible cause of the regression. I can only
suggest compiling pulseaudio from git and bisecting. There is no need to
install pulseaudio after each compilation, you can run it from the build
tree:

killall pulseaudio ; ./src/pulseaudio

P.S. The extra-hdmi.conf file has been removed, and its content is now
in default.conf.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov