[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio muted channel - VT1708S - Archlinux

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 17:41:18 PDT 2015

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a316eebf7b150b5897838be37bce4e8c9d95eaae
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=0f163003e9005972db5f97f21a45be67816e3801

> I have 6 Jacks at the rear panel and two at the top (one output one input)
> I am afraid I do not know how to switch channel mode to retask.
>
> Also, the computer is of a certain age, and the issue has started several
month ago but I never really looked into it, so I am not sure that change
in power management will be relevant has it seems quite recent.

grey jack mean no headphone playback volume control and independent
headphone

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/commit/sound/pci/hda/patch_via.c?id=4abdbd1c2c1832e7270e546307ffb3e56b286db2

The recent fix for the independent HP reduced the availability of the
side surround output, because there are only 4 DACs for 7.1 and a HP
outputs.  Adjust the badness tables for VIA so that 7.1 outputs are
activated for the cost of missing independent HP.

Once when we implement the dynamic DAC switching to multiple outputs,
this conflicts will be eased in future...

This mean some feature are lost

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/commit/sound/pci/hda/patch_via.c?id=2525050518496dfd6905abfa8d6d34288eed36d7

If you have selected ac97 front audio panel instead of hda front audio
panel in BIOS setup, both front hp and front mic disable jack detection
Misc = NO_PRESENCE

You have to provide pulseaudio verbose log since there is only headphone
phantom jack and no headphone playback volume and

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_PulseAudio_problems

Node 0x1d [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Headphone Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Control: name="Front Headphone Phantom Jack", index=0, device=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
  Pincap 0x0000233c: IN OUT HP Detect
    Vref caps: HIZ 50 100
  Pin Default 0x0221411f: [Jack] HP Out at Ext Front
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Green
    DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0xf
    Misc = NO_PRESENCE
  Pin-ctls: 0xc0: OUT HP VREF_HIZ
  Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 2
     0x16* 0x25
Node 0x1e [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Front Mic Boost Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=0, ofs=0
  Control: name="Front Mic Phantom Jack", index=0, device=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x80 0x80]
  Pincap 0x0000233c: IN OUT HP Detect
    Vref caps: HIZ 50 100
  Pin Default 0x02a19138: [Jack] Mic at Ext Front
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Pink
    DefAssociation = 0x3, Sequence = 0x8
    Misc = NO_PRESENCE
  Pin-ctls: 0x21: IN VREF_50

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/tree/src/modules/alsa/mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones.conf

>> > First some details:
>> > I have an VT1708S sound card with a rear panel and and top/front panel
My Speakers are plugged on the rear panel corresponding to the "surround"
channel on alsamixer. While I always have my headset plugged in on the top
panel.

>> > This is not user specific but system wide.
>> >
>> > Now the issue;
>> > The Surround channel is always muted when PulseAudio starts, doesn't
mater if the headset are plugged in or not. I have used alsamixer to unmute
and run "sudo alsa-store" but it hasn't worked
>> > I also tried to stop PulseAudio Daemon that restore the mixer's level
but it hasn't work.
>> > This issue has started months ago, but never got around to sort it
before.

>> You have to post output of alsa-info.sh before and after you plugged the
headphone

>> How many audio jacks in rear panel, you need to switch channel mode to
retask the input jacks as output if you want suuround40 or surround51

>> The recent change in power management or hardware fault in your front
audio panel jack detection may affect rear panel

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/commit/sound/pci/hda/patch_via.c?id=688b12cc3ca8a5155b95ce8d01e0e43006813b27