[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio muted channel - VT1708S - Archlinux

Swd sweetthdevil at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 03:17:33 PDT 2015

On 31/03/15 01:41, Raymond Yau wrote:

> > Thank you for your reply,
> >
> > Please see below the output of alsa-info.sh before and after the
> headphone plugged in
> >

> Before:http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a316eebf7b150b5897838be37bce4e8c9d95eaae
> > After:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=0f163003e9005972db5f97f21a45be67816e3801
> >
> > I have 6 Jacks at the rear panel and two at the top (one output one
> input)
> > I am afraid I do not know how to switch channel mode to retask.
> >
> > Also, the computer is of a certain age, and the issue has started
> several month ago but I never really looked into it, so I am not sure
> that change in power management will be relevant has it seems quite
> recent.
> >

> grey jack mean no headphone playback volume control and independent
> headphone
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/commit/sound/pci/hda/patch_via.c?id=4abdbd1c2c1832e7270e546307ffb3e56b286db2
>
> The recent fix for the independent HP reduced the availability of the
> side surround output, because there are only 4 DACs for 7.1 and a HP
> outputs.  Adjust the badness tables for VIA so that 7.1 outputs are
> activated for the cost of missing independent HP.
>
> Once when we implement the dynamic DAC switching to multiple outputs,
> this conflicts will be eased in future...
>
> This mean some feature are lost
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/commit/sound/pci/hda/patch_via.c?id=2525050518496dfd6905abfa8d6d34288eed36d7
>
> If you have selected ac97 front audio panel instead of hda front audio
> panel in BIOS setup, both front hp and front mic disable jack
> detection Misc = NO_PRESENCE
>
> You have to provide pulseaudio verbose log since there is only
> headphone phantom jack and no headphone playback volume and
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_PulseAudio_problems
>
> Node 0x1d [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
>   Control: name="Headphone Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
>     ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
>   Control: name="Front Headphone Phantom Jack", index=0, device=0
>   Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
>   Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
>   Pincap 0x0000233c: IN OUT HP Detect
>     Vref caps: HIZ 50 100
>   Pin Default 0x0221411f: [Jack] HP Out at Ext Front
>     Conn = 1/8, Color = Green
>     DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0xf
>     Misc = NO_PRESENCE
>   Pin-ctls: 0xc0: OUT HP VREF_HIZ
>   Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
>   Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
>   Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
>   Connection: 2
>      0x16* 0x25
> Node 0x1e [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
>   Control: name="Front Mic Boost Volume", index=0, device=0
>     ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=0, ofs=0
>   Control: name="Front Mic Phantom Jack", index=0, device=0
>   Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
> [...]
Again thank you for your replies,

As advices I changed the Bios setting from AC97 to HD Audio.
Now upon start up or pulseaudio being restarted the headphones is muted,
but the surround channel isn't any more. As mentioned I would like both
channel not to be muted.
Please find below the output of pulseaudio -vvvv:

pulseaudio -vvvvv
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed:
Operation not permitted
D: [pulseaudio] core-rtclock.c: Timer slack is set to 50 us.
D: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: RealtimeKit worked.
I: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: This is PulseAudio 6.0
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compilation host: i686-pc-linux-gnu
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compilation CFLAGS: -march=i686 -mtune=generic
-O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wall -W
-Wextra -Wno-long-long -Wno-overlength-strings
-Wunsafe-loop-optimizations -Wundef -Wformat=2 -Wlogical-op
-Wsign-compare -Wformat-security -Wmissing-include-dirs
-Wformat-nonliteral -Wpointer-arith -Winit-self
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow
-Wendif-labels -Wcast-align -Wstrict-aliasing -Wwrite-strings
-Wno-unused-parameter -ffast-math -fno-common -fdiagnostics-show-option
-fdiagnostics-color=auto
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running on host: Linux i686 3.19.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP
PREEMPT Wed Mar 18 16:36:01 CET 2015
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Found 4 CPUs.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compiled with Valgrind support: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in valgrind mode: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in VM: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Optimized build: yes
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: FASTPATH defined, only fast path asserts disabled.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Machine ID is 1603b312050eb424a77bbb74000001f6.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Session ID is c2.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using runtime directory /run/user/1000/pulse.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using state directory /home/sweetth/.config/pulse.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using modules directory /usr/lib/pulse-6.0/modules.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode: no
E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.