[pulseaudio-discuss] pa_context_set_source_volume_by_index() failed

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Mon Oct 31 18:19:39 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 06:25:52PM +0100, pfl wrote:
> I dont know about this
>
> my problem is that raspbery pi has gpio header and the program needs to be
> ran as root to use these gpio
>
> but if pulseaudio is not made nor supported to be run as root, then maybe I
> should use something else (alsa?)
>
> the only thing I need is my app to set the mic input and speaker output
> volumes
>
> nothing else, this all really starts to get complicated just to set the
> input/output of the system

If all you have is a single application using the sound hardware, yes,
straight ALSA is probably the way to go.

Also, you probably don't need to run as root to interface with GPIO
pins. If you are using the /sys interface, you can chown / chgrp the
desired pins to a non-privileged user / group.

--Sean