[pulseaudio-discuss] Sound cracking and distorted...

Russell Treleaven rtreleaven at bunnykick.ca
Sat Mar 24 14:18:33 UTC 2018

Things to try

Test pulseaudio with aplay to get a baseline
you want to hear the crackling with aplay->pulseaudio->alsa->your speakers

Then try aplay->alsa->your speakers
If the crackling remains then the problem is not pulseaudio

Try another sound card.
use `aplay -l` to see if you already have two or more.
For example I have two soundcards in my computer the builtin one for my
headset and my speakers are connected to my monitor which is connected to
my computer via hdmi.

If you get stuck you could try the #pulseaudio irc channel.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Jarry <mr.jarry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi PulseAudio gurus,
>
> I'm desperately looking for solution of my problem, which is
> terribly cracking/distorted sound comming from my desktop:
> i5-2500k, asus p8z68-v mobo (z68 chipset), gtx-780, realtek
> alc892 on-board sound, Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 installed...
>
> $ lspci -v | grep -i audio
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
> Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
>         Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
> Family High Definition Audio Controller
> 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK110 HDMI Audio (rev a1)
>         Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd GK110 HDMI Audio
>

> Sound is really terrible. Every few seconds I can hear some
> "cracking". It is also somehow distorted, like when you try
> to put over-amplified signal to weak speakers.
>
> I tested different audio/video players, different audio/video
> media files, it is always the same. When I switch hard-drives
> and put inside the old one still with windows7 installed,
> everything works normally. I suppose my problem has something
> to do with linux-driver and related software. I'm using default
> /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, never changed any value.
>
> Any idea how I could fix this?
>
> Jarry
>
> --

Sincerely,