[pulseaudio-discuss] Pavucontrol on Flathub

Arun Raghavan arun at arunraghavan.net
Mon Jul 1 06:04:37 UTC 2019

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019, at 11:26 AM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Sat, 2019-06-29 at 10:37 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> > Just a heads-up -- Will Thompson has nice enough to create a flatpak
> > for pavucontrol. It's on flathub, so you can see it at:
> >
> >   https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.pulseaudio.pavucontrol
> >
> > Instructions on installing are also on that page.
> >
> > For those who are unfamiliar with it, flatpak provides a way to run
> > applications in a sandbox, against a standard distribution-neutral
> > runtime. Flathub is a repository for a number of such applications.
> >
> > The code for the flatpak of pavucontrol is at:
> >
> >   https://github.com/flathub/org.pulseaudio.pavucontrol
>
> That's great!
>
> What are your views on what we should or shouldn't do with this in the
> future? Ideally we'd maintain it upstream, because as a user I'd prefer
> to trust the upstream rather than some third party when installing
> flatpaks (and if the upstream maintains the flatpak, it will probably
> be always up to date). It would just mean some extra work for us when
> doing releases.

Yup, I think we should maintain this (Will had asked that we do that while writing it, and and I'd signed up for that but more hands are definitely welcome). I'll ask Nick Richards to give write permissions to you and George (or ideally the PulseAudio organisation).

> At least the appdata.xml file looks like something that we should
> maintain ourselves.

Agreed, but it depends on dropping intltool apparently.

> We should probably advertise this on the pavucontrol home page.

Agreed!

Cheers,
Arun