[pulseaudio-discuss] Pavucontrol on Flathub

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Jul 2 04:58:00 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 11:34 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019, at 11:26 AM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > On Sat, 2019-06-29 at 10:37 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > > Just a heads-up -- Will Thompson has nice enough to create a flatpak
> > > for pavucontrol. It's on flathub, so you can see it at:
> > >
> > >   https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.pulseaudio.pavucontrol
> > >
> > > Instructions on installing are also on that page.
> > >
> > > For those who are unfamiliar with it, flatpak provides a way to run
> > > applications in a sandbox, against a standard distribution-neutral
> > > runtime. Flathub is a repository for a number of such applications.
> > >
> > > The code for the flatpak of pavucontrol is at:
> > >
> > >   https://github.com/flathub/org.pulseaudio.pavucontrol
> >
> > That's great!
> >
> > What are your views on what we should or shouldn't do with this in the
> > future? Ideally we'd maintain it upstream, because as a user I'd prefer
> > to trust the upstream rather than some third party when installing
> > flatpaks (and if the upstream maintains the flatpak, it will probably
> > be always up to date). It would just mean some extra work for us when
> > doing releases.
>
> Yup, I think we should maintain this (Will had asked that we do that
> while writing it, and and I'd signed up for that but more hands are
> definitely welcome). I'll ask Nick Richards to give write permissions
> to you and George (or ideally the PulseAudio organisation).

Once we've set up the procedures for maintaining the flatpak ourselves,
is there any reason to have a separate repository for it? Shouldn't the
flatpak stuff go to the main pavucontrol repo? Not that I have anything
against having push rights to the current github repo for now. (By "the
procedures" I mean documenting how to update the flatpak build files
and how to test them, and following that documentation when doing
releases.)

> > At least the appdata.xml file looks like something that we should
> > maintain ourselves.
>
> Agreed, but it depends on dropping intltool apparently.

Which you seem to have done in a merge request already. Thanks!

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk
https://liberapay.com/tanuk