[pulseaudio-discuss] ignore_dB for a specific device

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Jul 12 11:29:53 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-07-10 at 21:03 +0000, john terragon wrote:
> Hi
> If I mute a particular card when the volume is below 35%, the volume
> drops to 0 and it's not restored when the card is unmuted.The problem
> is solved by adding
> load-module module-udev-detect ignore_dB=1to default.pa.Since it's
> only one particular card that behaves like this, I was wondering if
> it's possible to set ignore_dB=1 only for that card, instead of
> having it set for all cards in the system.

If you can live without automatic sound card detection, you can comment
out module-udev-detect and load the necessary module-alsa-card
instances manually. You can do the loading in default.pa if you have
the USB sound card plugged in all the time (I assume this is a USB
sound card), or alternatively you can manually use "pactl load-module"
when plugging in the device.

module-alsa-card takes the device_id= argument, which is either the
alsa card index or the alsa card name. Since the index can change, it's
better to use the card name. The card name can be seen in
/proc/asound/cards. For example, I have these cards:

 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xd112c000 irq 126
 1 [iTwo           ]: USB-Audio - PreSonus AudioBox iTwo
                      PreSonus PreSonus AudioBox iTwo at usb-0000:00:14.0-6.4, high speed

The name to use with the device_id argument would in my case be "PCH"
or "iTwo" (the string between the square brackets).

There's currently no support for disabling ignore_dB for a single card
when using module-udev-detect.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk
https://liberapay.com/tanuk