[pulseaudio-discuss] USB-connected headsets: no sound

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Fri Feb 5 01:52:01 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 12:05:25PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2021, Sean Greenslade wrote:
>
> > The menu I was referring to is attached to each of the clients. In your
> > screenshot, it's the box that says "HD-Audio Generic Analog Stereo".
> > Click that and change it to "Logitech H570e Stereo Analog Stereo".
>
> Sean,
>
> Thanks for correcting me. When I change the upper port it displays "Headset
> (unplugged)" while the headset is plugged in.
>
> The lower port sill shows "Logitach H5703 Stereo Analog Stereo" with the
> port remaining "Headphones".
>
> Unfortuately, changing the upper port to read "Headset (unplugged)" did not
> make a difference; still no audio output.

There are two places in pavucontrol where you will need to verify
things.

Under the "Output Devices" tab, some of the outputs may have a "Port"
dropdown selector. Generally you will not need to adjust this. The one
that says "Headphones (unplugged)" is referring to your motherboard's
built-in sound card, and it is correctly detecting that there is nothing
plugged into the 3.5mm jack on the motherboard. The "Logitach H5703
Stereo Analog Stereo" device is the important one, and it should be left
on its default port selection of "Headphones." Also verify that the
device is not muted, and that the volume slider is at a reasonable
position.

Under the "Playback" tab, there will be a list of programs currently
playing sound. If there are none, start up an application and get it
playing something. Now, next to the title of each application, there is
an unlabeled dropdown box that shows which sound device the application
is currently playing to. Find the actively-playing application and
switch its dropdown to the "Logitach H5703 Stereo Analog Stereo" option.

--Sean