Getting the 6.7 branch tag set

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Apr 7 07:49:22 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 04:45:49PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Who said it is supposed to be xo-6_7-branch?
>
> The general naming sceme - that was adopted in an 'ad hoc'
> fashion - used capital letters. To adhere to the this sceme
> I've used XORG-6_7_0 to tag the release (at around 1:30 this
> morning) after I updated the documentation to reflect that.
>
> Replacing the old sceme with another 'ad hoc' sceme doesn't
> seem to be the grand plan.
> If people change what I do anyway I do not have to waste my
> time and spend all night getting things done.

An approach that seems to work well for KDE is that you have formal
-RELEASE and -BRANCH tags (e.g. KDE_3_2_BRANCH) in uppercase, and
informal[0] branches/tags in lowercase (e.g. kmail's infamous
make_it_cool_branch, kwin's kwin_iii and osnabrueck branches); anyone is
free to create lowercase branches, but uppercase branches/tags are
solely the domain of the RM.

:) d

[0]: Well, just not releases/version branches - just branches for people
     to do stuff without annoying other people.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel at fooishbar.org>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,