[Roadster] mouse-over info

Dustin kirkland dustin.kirkland at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 04:08:42 PST 2005

I like the idea of a mouse rollover + a status bar, especially where
this greatly reduces clutter, like in a middle-range zoom of a big
city.

The status bar could consists a a configurable list of fields, with a
user choosing which to include/exclude  Here are some examples:
GPS coordinates, latitude, longitude, elevation
Country, state, county, city, street, address number
(basically any information you have or can infer about a given point)

A couple more thoughts.  (You can start a new thread if either of
these hold water..)

1) How about a KRuler-like feature that you can lift and move around
and stretch from point to point across the map, giving as-the-crow
flies distances (in practically any unit of length)?  This helps with
unmarked pathways, such as hiking trails, biking trails, and canoeing
streams.

2) Its relatively easy to use a handful of websites to, say "find the
nearest Best Buy" to my current location.  These features are driven
by sales.  I would like to use Roadster to say, "List all ski resorts
sorted by distance to my current location."  Or, "List all state
(national) parks sorted by distance to my current location".  I don't
know that your data necessarily has this information.  Thus, Roadster
may need to have a wiki-like database that allows for user
contribution of these types of information (as someone has mentioned
previously).

:-Dustin