[SCIM] SCIM-CVS: I can't switch input methods

James Su suzhe at tsinghua.org.cn
Thu Jun 10 22:14:53 EST 2004

It seems that you are using scim gtk2 immodule. By default scim's gtk2
immodule only loads Socket input method module, which is used to get
input method services from a running Socket FrontEnd. So you should
first start a SCIM process with Socket FrontEnd, before starting gtk
apps. Please try:

$ scim -f socket -c simple -ns socket -d
$ GTK_IM_MODULE=scim gedit

Then you may use the input methods as normal.

If you use XIM instead of gtk2 immodule, the Socket FrontEnd process is
not necessary. Just use the following commands:

$ scim -f x11 -c simple -ns socket -d
$ export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
$ GTK_IM_MODULE=xim gedit

Of course, you can use both scim's gtk2 immodule for gtk2 apps and XIM
for other apps. The best way to start scim in this case is:

$ scim -f socket -c simple -ns socket -d
$ scim -f x11 -c socket -s socket -d
$ export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
$ export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim

Sorry for lacking of documents.