[SCIM] How to create a new IME on Linux in about 15 minutes with SCIM and m17n

David david at plm11.pl
Tue Oct 5 20:18:02 UTC 2004

David wrote:

> To find out I made a copy of a few lines from James Su code
> (scim_m17n_imengine.cpp) responsible for loading m17lib IMEs.

There is a better way. I did not know :-( that. You can just use "medit"
editor to test your IME during developement.

I also just realized that it is equally simple to create IME for
scim-tables.

You just take some table from the scim-tables source code, for example
Hangul.txt.in, rename (I renamed to Korean.txt), generate new uuid, make
PNG logo, edit the txt file, "compile" and copy to correct folders.

For example:

vim Korean.txt (set the names, path to the png icon, set the uuid, edit
the tables)
scim-make-table Korean.txt -b -o Korean.bin
cp Korean.bin /usr/share/scim/tables
cp Korean.png /usr/share/scim/icons

(of course in real life there is a makfile that does all this :-) )

And that is all. Do I miss anything? It works for me. The only thing I
do not know is how to reload all IME engines on demand. It has to be
simple, but for the moment I am testing when I reboot the machine. Can
someone teach me how to make skim reload all the scim-tables?

It seems we can have another tutorial: How to create a new IME on Linux
in about 15 minutes with SCIM and scim-tables :-)

It seems so simple :-)

Best regards,
David