[Spice-devel] windows guest file transfer -- am I using the correct howto?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 06:45:42 PST 2015

Hello,
I have a Fedora 21 system with
libvirt-1.2.9.1-2.fc21.x86_64
virt-manager-1.1.0-4.git310f6527.fc21.noarch
qemu-system-x86-2.1.2-7.fc21.x86_64

One of my vm is windws 7 32bit.
I indeed was able to add in virt-manager the channel and my command line
now contains
-chardev spiceport,id=charchannel1,name=org.spice-space.webdav.0 -device
virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=2,chardev=charchannel1,id=channel1,name=org.spice-space.webdav.0

In w7 I too had difficulties installing the referred msi, even if logged in
as an administrator user.
I also got the message
Service 'Spice webdav proxy' (spice-webdavd) failed to start. Verify that
you have sufficient privileges.

Searching the internet I opened a command prompt as administrator and from
there

C:\Users\tekka\Documents>msiexec /a
c:\Users\tekka\Documents\spice-webdavd-x86-0.1.24.msi

it seems it completed almost instantly without the error message... but I
don't know if it was successfull.
I also executed the map-drive.bat inside c:\spice webdavd\
Now what should I see inside my windows 7 guest?
How can I verify that the service was installed? It seems I don't see
something in my services that could match...
Thanks,
Gianluca