[Spice-devel] windows guest file transfer -- am I using the correct howto?

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 14:19:41 PST 2015

Hi

Thank you for trying the folder sharing feature. I am running on f21
virt-manager, and I installed a fresh win7 x64, with spice-guest-tools
0.74. Then I ran spice-webdavd.msi, installation was successful,
however, the service was stopped immediately. I realized the channel
wasn't connected, however, the service starts fine with a linux guest.
It seems the virtio channel behaves differently on Linux (blocks on
read) and Windows (returns 0 immediately) when the channel is
disconnected. This makes the Windows service stop when the guest is
started without a client connected for example.

There is a missing channel connect() in various clients.
For ex, virt-manager needs:
       elif (type(channel) == SpiceClientGLib.WebdavChannel):
            channel.connect()

But instead of pushing this in each clients, we can also just decide
to do it by default in the spice widget, so I sent I patch for that.
In the meantime, you can run spicy, which does connect the webdav
channels. Once the channel is connected, I could run the service just
fine, and mount the drive and browse. Note: while playing with webdav
channel, I noticed several time some nasty crash. It looks like a
spicevmc issue, channel sasl_conn was overwritten, and this lead to
crashes. Unfortunately, valgrind didn't help, and I can't reproduce it
anymore. So hopefully, you can mount your shared folder successfully
too!

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Gianluca Cecchi
<gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a Fedora 21 system with
> libvirt-1.2.9.1-2.fc21.x86_64
> virt-manager-1.1.0-4.git310f6527.fc21.noarch
> qemu-system-x86-2.1.2-7.fc21.x86_64
>
> One of my vm is windws 7 32bit.
> I indeed was able to add in virt-manager the channel and my command line now
> contains
> -chardev spiceport,id=charchannel1,name=org.spice-space.webdav.0 -device
> virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=2,chardev=charchannel1,id=channel1,name=org.spice-space.webdav.0
>
> In w7 I too had difficulties installing the referred msi, even if logged in
> as an administrator user.
> I also got the message
> Service 'Spice webdav proxy' (spice-webdavd) failed to start. Verify that
> you have sufficient privileges.
>
> Searching the internet I opened a command prompt as administrator and from
> there
>
> C:\Users\tekka\Documents>msiexec /a
> c:\Users\tekka\Documents\spice-webdavd-x86-0.1.24.msi
>
> it seems it completed almost instantly without the error message... but I
> don't know if it was successfull.
> I also executed the map-drive.bat inside c:\spice webdavd\
> Now what should I see inside my windows 7 guest?
> How can I verify that the service was installed? It seems I don't see
> something in my services that could match...
> Thanks,
> Gianluca

Marc-André Lureau