[Spice-devel] Tested latest spice-server on Windows 10 KVM guest

Yuri Benditovich yuri.benditovich at daynix.com
Wed Oct 24 10:36:55 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 1:12 AM Carlos González <piteccelaya at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello.
>
> First, for background of my original problem:
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2018-June/044057.html
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2018-June/044294.html
>
> Already in linked post above, but just for quick reference of the KVM
> guest:
> Windows 10 KVM guest with RAM ballooning range 2 - 3 Gb, RAW storage
> format, installed SPICE drivers with spice-guest-tools. The server is in
> the same local network segment as laptop host that I use.
>
> So the Proxmox guys were finally able to upgrade their libspice-server
> package, allowing me to test (I don't know yet how to build packages from
> source on a Linux distro...).
>
> Mr. Ziglio was right:
> >"Not saying all your problem will be solved."
> However guest *did* get better in general; at least it is usable again
> with SPICE console.
> Login screen still suffers of evident lag with the "fading" visual
> effects, but now it doesn't take too long to finish loading and it's
> responsive.
> Once in the desktop, opening programs suffer from the same lag as login
> screen -though briefly- due to the "fading" effect; as well as the start
> menu -specially the tiles- and minimizing and maximizing windows.
> But, other than that, now it's pretty usable on SPICE. Hangs are far more
> rare even if stressing the guest a little with some daily work such as
> opening web browser or a couple of MS Office documents.
>
> Overall, the fix did improve guest performance. Although it still suffers,
> as it seems, specifically from Windows 10 "fading" visual effects.
>
> Now, I must admit something: all of this was a "quick" test; I didn't have
> enough time to setup an entirely new Windows 10 guest from zero. The
> testing was done in the old one I have: Windows 10 1607, spice-guest-tools
> from june 2018, and, er... >500 Mb of free disk space (this was a small
> partition...)
>
> @Frediano:
> Think these are the expected results for now, or should I really try with
> a newly setup Windows guest?
> If the first case, do you think there's possibility of keeping SPICE
> improving by chance? I do remember you mentioned team has other
> priorities...
>
> @Yuri:
>
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2018-September/045575.html
> Would this post help clearing your doubts?

As far as I remember I did not express any doubts. This specific problem
was solved the same way on both ends, any one of them is enough to improve
the situation. Driver's update will not provide any additional boost at the
moment.
Set up the virtual machine to 'adjust for best performance' is recommended
for better user experience.
BTW, what is your typical network environment (bandwidth client-to-server
and ping time)?