[SyncEvolution] Setup of SyncML to WebDAV synchronization bridge: Problem with SSLVerifyServer switch in configuration command

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Mon Jan 13 08:11:19 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-01-12 at 03:55 +0100, Helge Kraak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> during my journey of setting up a synchronization of a Palm Tungsten
> TX running the Synthesis SyncML application and a SabreDAV server I
> tried the following configuration command adapted from the
> syncevolution manual:
>
> syncevolution --configure \
>
>                      SSLVerifyServer=False \
>
>                      databaseUser=admin \
>
>                      "databasePassword=admin" \
>
>                      addressbook/backend=carddav \
>

> addressbook/database=https://localhost:443/sabredav/addressbookserver.php/ \
>
>                      calendar/backend=caldav \
>

> calendar/database=https://localhost:443/sabredav/addressbookserver.php/ \
>
>                      @webdav \
>
>                      calendar addressbook
>

> It returns this error message:
>
> [ERROR 00:00:00] per-peer (unshared) properties not allowed:
> SSLVerifyServer
>
> With other configuration commands not dealing with this specific
> SyncML - WebDAV setup I can use this switch.

Configure options are applied to what is mentioned as target of the
configuration change. In this case, that are four things:
     1. The @webdav context = ~/.config/syncevolution/webdav/config.ini
     2. The calendar source in that context =
        ~/.config/syncevolution/webdav/sources/calendar/config.ini
     3. The addressbook source in that context =
        ~/.config/syncevolution/webdav/sources/addressbook/config.ini
     4. The global config = ~/.config/syncevolution/config.ini

The last one is a somewhat unfortunate special case; only very few
options go into it, so typically it doesn't get changed.

In you case, SSLVerifyServer cannot be set in any of these places.
Instead of silently ignoring it, you get the error. What you can do is
set SSLVerifyServer in the sync config for the Palm. It'll be picked up
from there by the backend.

Not very intuitive, I know, and might even lead to potential conflicts
(what if the option has some meaning there different from what the
source expects?). I just don't have a good solution.

One solution would be to have databaseSSLVerify* options which can go
into the source configs. But that's leading to a further proliferation
of similar options.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.