[SyncEvolution] Re: Fixing the Maemo backend

Merlijn Wajer merlijn at wizzup.org
Mon Oct 12 21:49:37 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 11/10/2020 19:50, Patrick Ohly wrote:

>> Please let me know if you would like me to pick up some maintenance
>> tasks. As per below, I currently have the code working with the latest
>> syncevolution.
>
> Being available to test and fix the code if necessary is a good first
> step. I can't even compile it myself because I lack a system with the
> necessary libraries.

Understood. I did document how to set up the synchronisation on a Maemo
(Leste) system, here: https://leste.maemo.org/Calendar

> Is there perhaps a Dockerfile that provides everything that is needed to
> build for Maemo? I could use that for automatic build and perhaps even
> functional testing.

Hm... There isn't one yet, but I could attempt to make one. We do have
virtual images that can run in QEMU/Virtualbox, but that probably isn't
quite what you are looking for: https://leste.maemo.org/Virtual_Machine

I can try to write a Dockerfile in the next day or two.

>> So the problem wasn't in syncevolution at all. That said -- what can I
>> do to get the Maemo backend marked as active again?
>
> Marked where?
>
> It's not enabled by default in configure because most people won't have
> the necessary libraries available and probably also don't want to build
> it. That EDS is enabled by default is partly a historic exception,
> partly because I suspect that most users are using it.

Good question. I don't know where I saw that it was inactive, but I
recall seeing it somewhere...

That said, the backend does currently need minor changes (pkg-config
with dbus-1).

I'll let you know once I have a Dockerfile.

Thanks,
Cheers,
Merlijn