[systemd-devel] Ubuntu packages for systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 25 14:06:24 PDT 2010

On Mon, 25.10.10 21:22, Paul McDonough (pmcd14 at gmail.com) wrote:

> I don't think Ubuntu will adopt Systemd as it means them dropping their own
> upstart which is unlikely.

Well, things change. And there are rumours that this move might be much
more likely than people might think. They have made abundantly clear by
now that they are not interested in doing development of the Linux OS
proper, but focus on the icing and polishing. That kinda indicates that
they might be open to switch sooner or later, since they don't consider
development of Upstart at the focus of what they do. I think they are
smart enough to realize that after having forked GNOME they'll have a
hard time spending enough resources on continuing to develop Upstart
too, if everybody else goes a different way. But anyway, while it is fun
speculating what they might eventually do, it's kinda pointless spending
too much time on that.

In the meantime I think it is a good idea to make it easy for them to
adopt systemd eventually, and hence I welcome the Ubuntu patches very
much.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.