[systemd-devel] Verbose output option when starting daemons manually

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 16:45:22 PST 2012

On 11/09/2012 12:23 AM, William Giokas wrote:
> All,
>
> I have been using systemd for a few months now, and I must say, it is a
> great init system. I myself am no coder, else I would attempt to write
> something to do just this. One not-dealbreaking thing that I do find
> lacking is a verbose option for `systemctl start <unit>`, essentially
> running `journalctl -f -u <unit>` (and possibly for multiple dependent
> units as well). For most services, I feel like this would be a line or
> two of output just saying "It worked!" or "It broke!" but for services
> like netcfg@, or services that start dependencies, it could be useful to
> see what's getting started and how it's getting started. Again, feel free
> to ignore me, I don't know how feasible or practical this would be, but
> it seems like it would be useful.
>
> Again, sorry that I cannot put something together myself to at least
> show you.
>
> Thank you for your time.

Not the first and probably not the last that expected that behavior and
proposed this.

What's lacking is the status to be shown when units are manually
started/reloaded/restart/stopped there is just one slight problem
implementing that which is you dont want that output when the service is
started at boot time or shutdown...

perhaps that could be solved by introducing specific boot-start and
shutdown-stop switches which would only be used to start unit or shut
down units at boot-up/shutdown

JBG